Expert Witnesses in Decatur Car Accident Cases
In personal injury cases, there are generally two types of witnesses that may be used to support the plaintiff’s claim, eyewitnesses and expert witnesses. Expert witnesses are individuals that provide specialized testimony based on knowledge in their field or industry. Depending on the facts of the car accident case and disputed issues, several types of expert witnesses may be called to testify.
For help with choosing an expert witness to assist with your case, contact a Decatur attorney today. A car accident lawyer is willing to speak with you about your case in order to find out what type of expert testimony could prove most beneficial to your case.
What is an Expert Witness?
Under the Official Code of Georgia Annotated § 24-7-702, an expert witness is an individual with specialized knowledge in a technical or scientific area, that can explain evidence or facts that are outside the ordinary everyday experience. To be qualified as an expert witness in Georgia, the individual must have knowledge, skill, experience, training, or education in the field in question.
The purpose of expert witnesses is to assist a jury or judge in their decision making by providing context for issues the average person would not be knowledgeable. Since there are no formal requirements for an individual to become an expert witness, plaintiff attorneys need to evaluate potential expert witnesses’ qualifications to ensure they are well-suited for the case.
Types of Expert Witnesses in Decatur
There are several different situations where a plaintiff’s attorney could call on a specialized witness in car accident cases. In these cases, the most common expert witnesses are medical experts and accident reconstructionists. Depending on the complexity of the accident, other expert witnesses may be required. Common expert witnesses in car accident cases include:
- Accident Reconstructionist – these experts review the accident scene, vehicle damages, police reports, eyewitness statements, and other evidence to rebuild the events that led up to a crash and formulated opinions on who is at fault.
- Medical Experts – the treating physician or other doctors can provide testimony about the plaintiff’s injuries, treatment, and the extent of their recovery time.
- Roadway Design Experts – highway safety experts and engineers can use knowledge of state and federal law to identify where a failure to meet highway safety rules, regulations, and requirements caused or contributed to the accident
- Economist Experts – an economic expert may be required to determine the plaintiff’s medical costs, past and future wage losses, and potential loss of career advancement
- Vocational Experts – these experts may testify to the accident’s impact on a plaintiffs’ ability to work and support themselves and their family
Selecting the Right Expert Witness for a Car Accident Case
Choosing the right expert witness in Decatur car accident cases are a vital part of a successful trial strategy. In personal injury cases, expert testimony can often make the difference between winning and losing a case. A knowledgeable Decatur car accident attorney can help determine what, if any, expert witnesses are needed in each case. It is important to take into account the expert’s background, education, and past trial experience.
Speak with a Decatur Car Accident Attorney Today
Not all cases are complex enough to require using an expert witness. However, when costly medical bills and serious injuries are involved, an expert witness is a valuable tool to prove your case. Decatur car accident attorneys understand how to select knowledgeable experts to support your case and hold negligent drivers responsible. Connect with us today to learn more about expert witnesses in Decatur accident cases and the other resources that we use to fight for you.